Get canadian citizenship and bring the family

    The Canadian Government does understand that families wish to be together and immigration is permitted for several members of the family. Some relations – like spouses and dependent children – are often included on the initial visa application for brand spanking new immigrants to Canada, while parents, grandparents, et al. must be sponsored by Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

    Requirements for family immigration Spouses and Partners  

    Spouses and Partners

    Your spouse or common-law partner can normally be included in your own application for immigration. A common-law partner is defined as an individual of any sex (including same-sex partners) who has been living with you as a partner for a minimum of 1 year. Similar information must be provided for your partner as for the "Principal Applicant" (yourself) on the visa form.
    Your spouse's dependent children also can be included on your visa application
    This is normally an easy family immigration application to form.


    As of August 2014, only dependent children under the age of 19 are often included in your visa application, except within the case of youngsters with certain physical and/or mental disabilities and health conditions, who haven't any regulation. Previously children up to the age of twenty-two might be included.

    A dependent child is defined as any child under the age of 19 who doesn't have a spouse or partner, or any child of any age who is financially hooked into you (or your spouse) thanks to a physical or mental disability or health condition.

    If you or your spouse's dependent children have dependent children of their own, these children also can be included on your visa application.

    Parents and Grandparents  

    In most cases, parents can't be included on the initial visa application, and must instead be sponsored by a permanent resident or citizen, except in rare cases where the oldsters or grandparents live in some hardship, and there are compelling humanitarian and compassionate reasons to permit them to be included on the initial application.


    In order to sponsor your parents and grandparents to enter Canada as permanent residents, you and your parent(s)/grandparent(s) must co-sign a sponsorship agreement, which states:

    • That you will provide them with support if necessary – like if they become unemployed, for a period of between 3 and 10 years.
    • That your parent(s)/grandparent(s) will take all reasonable measures to support themselves financially.


    You may be unable to sponsor your parents or grandparents if any of the subsequent conditions apply:

    • You did not abide by the support conditions for an additional relative you sponsored within the past.
    • You have ever defaulted on a court support order, like a toddler support order.
    • Have ever received benefits/financial support from the Canadian government (except support for a disability)
    • Have ever been convicted of a violent or sexual offense, or an offense against a relative.
    • Have ever missed payments, made late payments, or defaulted on an immigration loan.
    • You are currently in prison.
    • You are currently declared bankrupt.


    Sponsorship applications are often made for orphaned relatives under 19 years aged like a brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild. Sponsoring these relatives has similar eligibility requirements and restrictions with sponsoring parents/grandparents (above).

    Further, you'll normally sponsor a toddler under 19 years aged that you simply decide to adopt (subject to the relevant adoption laws). Please see our International Adoptions page for more details.   

    general insurance
    writer and blogger, founder of CANADA LIFSTYLE .

    Post a Comment